In the final issue of the 2015 volume, the Michigan State Law Review celebrated a milestone: 40 years of consecutive publication. While the Law Review began in 1931 as the Detroit Law Review, publication ceased on the eve of World War II, reprising for only three issues in 1948. The students of the Detroit College of Law restarted the publication in 1975.
The groundwork for the publication was laid in 1973-1974 under the leadership of William Smith. Mr. Smith felt a great "drive to get this little rascal going," working until his graduation in 1974 to restart the journal. The first issue was published in 1975 under the leadership of then Editor-in-Chief Rosemary K. Wolock.
In honor of Mr. Smith's drive and dedication, the Michigan State Law Review named him as an honorary Editor-in-Chief during this final issue of the 2015 year. Mr. Smith is honored in a tribute that begins the issue, which is available for download below. We are so pleased to honor an influential person on such an auspicious occasion. Thank you to all the staff of the Michigan State Law Review, our authors, the Michigan State University College of Law, and, of course, the readers and scholars for whom we publish our Law Review.